Check out our openings from below and fill the application by clicking on it
Technology Technical Writer
Technology Technical Writer
Location: Norfolk, VA
The Technology Technical Writer must use their technical writing experience to draft and edit technology-specific specification manuals, process and procedure documents, requirements documents, testing plans and documents, policies, training plans and documents, and proposals. Candidates who have experience in the technology industry and writing for tech publications is preferred. Candidates will manage any publication and formatting issues. Ideal candidates must demonstrate experience working in publication software, Microsoft Sharepoint, flowcharting, and network diagramming software. Candidate must be a fast learner, self-motivated and have the ability to juggle numerous projects at once.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• At least 4+ years’ experience writing clear and concise technical documents such as specifications, user guides, datasheets, user manuals, system manuals, and related training documentation and
templates concerned with software application maintenance efforts.
• Make professional decisions and recommendations
• Individually develop and update technical documentation and content adhering to format, content and style guidelines.
• Proficiency writing clear and concise technical and non-technical materials using authoring tools.
• Responsible for the writing, editing, and producing in various output formats the technical and functional documentation/content for all HRT technology products.
• A self-starter and quick learner with excellent written and oral communication skills and an eye for pertinent detail.
• Ability to listen and effectively translate complex technology discussions into workflows, requirements, business processes and policies.
• Ability to complete assigned deliverables within strict timelines and work well in a fast-paced project environment.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Delivery of product with strict adherence to deadlines and timelines.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s Safety and Security Plan.
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant Safety and Security Procedures, Emergency Management Plan and all HRT’s Policies.
• Other tasks and responsibilities, as assigned by supervisor.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Major/concentration in Information Systems, or Technical Communications a plus
• Work collaboratively with content experts to coordinate and edit material
• Ability to learn and understand functionality of varied enterprise software applications
• Ability to translate technical details to clear, simple language
• Support software testing documentation activities as required
• Working knowledge of technology and engineering processes.
• Ability to effectively convey information and work well in a structured environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management and within the business
administrative, functional and technical communities.
• Good critical and analytical thinking.
• Proven ability to self-edit work effectively as well as to write clear, concise and comprehensive
documentation on complex, multi-level technical issues, including storyboard creation and
• Excellent organization, strong written/verbal communications and writing styles with an eye for
• Ability to grasp complex software, learn quickly and work within tight deadlines.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet multiple deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Sample work will be requested.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software
applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Project, Visio), Adobe Pro, MS Access or SQL database, and relevant word-processing tools. Experience with MS SharePoint, a
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university in Information Systems, English,
Communications, Journalism, or Related Field; or equivalent combination of education and
4+ years’ experience or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in technical document management, project support or contract administration.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as essential personnel.