Check out our openings from below and fill the application by clicking on it
Location: Norfolk, VA
The Network Engineer will be responsible for installation, maintenance, and management of HRT computer systems hardware/software, stand-alone and/or networked. Assist in the development and
improvement of HRT information technology services.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all-inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Field all calls for computer assistance by HRT employees.
• Install, maintain and upgrade hardware and software of HRT computerized systems.
• Report all calls for computer assistance in an electronic tracking software.
• Provide ad hoc user training as required to help customers effectively utilize HRT computerized systems.
• Coordinate network security activity with Management and IT Security Engineer.
• Perform routine LAN/WAN administrative duties as required.
• Compile, write, diagram, and maintain written documentation of all HRT computer configurations and network architectures. Ensure adherence to HRT minimum hardware/software requirements.
• Maintain awareness of advances in information technology and recommend modifications to HRT systems as required.
• Coordinates the selection and purchase of data processing hardware and software for HRT.
• Implement backup routine for all HRT networked computer systems.
• Provide development and/or maintenance of specialized HRT software programs.
• Implement a virus protection strategy at HRT.
• Install, configure, and maintain network infrastructure components such as switches, routers, firewalls, and wireless devices.
• Design, implement and maintain new network segments as needed including site to site VPN connections and other elements of the network infrastructure.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
• Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
• Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies.
• Performs other duties as required by the Manager of Information Systems.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
In depth knowledge of Windows network infrastructure components such as servers, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, firewalls and network protocols is essential. In addition, experience working with a
routed network, Wide Area Network, VPNs, and the ability to configure and troubleshoot routers, Network Engineer switches and other network components is necessary. Ability to communicate effectively both orally
and in writing to management and staff. Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions with minimal downtime. Critical thinking – Using logic and analysis to identify the strengths and
weaknesses of different approaches.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with the performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem-solving skills associated with software
applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Familiarity with MS Office Suite required.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Systems or a related field
Must have at least 5 years of experience in network support in a Windows 2008, 2012 environment utilizing Cisco (or equivalent) network components. Must have experience
configuring network protocols, network security, TCP/IP. Knowledge of DHCP and DNS is essential. Proven experience managing firewalls, intrusion detection, and intrusion prevention is essential.
Licenses or Certificates:
CCNA and MCSE preferred
Virginia Driver’s License
• This position is classified as essential personnel.
• Must be able to pass federal government background screening process for local military installation access