Check out our openings from below and fill the application by clicking on it
Database Administrator (DBA)
Database Administrator (DBA)
Location: Norfolk, VA
The Database Administrator administers Oracle and SQL Server databases and their servers for Hampton Roads Transit (HRT). The position also requires the ability to support software applications that interface with Oracle and SQL Server databases. DBA will assist in analyzing, performance tuning, maintaining, troubleshooting HRT databases and interfacing systems using full life cycle development techniques with a concentration on full integration of agency-wide software systems and solutions. The Database Administrator performs research, evaluates, and recommends solutions for managing
effective, efficient, flexible, and robust applications. The person in this position analyzes business processes and designs solutions through data modeling, process modeling, and event modeling techniques. DBA reviews requirements and design documents, writes design documents when necessary, and works with managers and staff to provide project estimates.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Primary responsibility will be to administer Oracle databases and servers. Secondarily responsibility will be to administer SQL server databases and servers.
• Provide key technical support for Technology Director, members of the Database/Web Services and other Technology staff, and the users of HRT databases and related applications.
• Instrumental role in the creation and documentation of databases standards and procedures as they apply to HRT.
• Develops and maintains operating system specific (Windows 200x/2012/etc.) scripts to automate DBA functions and use the Enterprise Management and other ad-hoc tools to monitor and tune
Oracle and SQL Server databases.
• Ability to administer multiple Oracle and SQL Server database instances and servers for multiple projects effectively.
• Install, patch, and upgrade multiple versions of Oracle and SQL Server software and related application software on multiple platforms.
• Coordinate, research, install, and document database patches and upgrades
• Configure and setup Oracle and SQL Server database instances
• Perform Oracle and SQL Server database backup and recovery
• Monitor and tune database performance
• Administer and help resolve data storage issues
• Ability to navigate through Windows Server and Desktop environments as well as administrative skills
• Configure and setup client desktops with necessary applications and software
• Ability to effectively troubleshoot and resolve problems at the database, server, network and client levels
• Demonstrate increased level of leadership and software project management
• Make professional decisions and recommendations under general guidance/direction, and provide technical and policy support for the agency (HRT)
• Represent the agency at internal and external professional committees and groups
Database Administrator (Oracle) Page 2
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
• Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
• Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Working knowledge of database architecture, terminology, processes
• Extensive use and knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, Import/Export/Load, backup and recovery
• Working knowledge of relational database technologies (OLTP, OLAP, ETL)
• Significant development experience in a Microsoft environment with C++, writing complex stored procedures, queries, views, and triggers is also required.
• Strong candidates will have mastered physical database design and have expertise with database indexing, statistics and tuning
• Candidate must be able to work in a production environment where unplanned downtime is not acceptable
• PC hardware configuration, networking concepts and terminology
• Ability to effectively convey information and work well in a structured environment with other team members
• Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management as well as both the business and technical communities
• Good critical and analytical thinking
• Ability to solve problems quickly and completely
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadline simultaneously
• Excellent written and verbal skills
Training and/or Education:
BS in Computer Science/Engineering, Systems Engineering, Management Information Systems, Information Systems or Related Field.
• 4-5 years Oracle/SQL Server DBA experience in a production environment.
• Extensive Oracle/SQL Server database programming/scripting/development experience.
• PeopleSoft Oracle database administration is preferred or equivalent experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia driver’s license
Oracle/SQL Server Certification preferred
This position is classified as essential personnel.