Check out our openings from below and fill the application by clicking on it
BI Report Developer
BI Report Developer
Location: Norfolk, VA
The Business Intelligence (BI) Report Developer is responsible for the analysis, design and development of dashboards and reporting sourced from various internal production application systems. This position
will collaborate with business stakeholders, business leaders, and subject matter experts to design, develop and support Business Intelligence information (reports, dashboards, self-service apps) for
Hampton Roads Transit (HRT). The primary BI tool used at the agency is Tableau extracting data from Oracle and SQL Server databases. Additional duties include web-based programming, software program
debugging, ability to improve our Software Development Life Cycle processes, managing BI and Data Warehouse report data repositories, software and servers, meeting users for requirements, supporting
deployment to cloud-based and enterprise environments, and delivering high quality solutions on time and within budget.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Strong software development and programming skills.
• Research ideas and software technology necessary to program and implement browser-based reporting solutions.
• Learn new skills as needed to complete all responsibilities.
• Design new reports and reporting solutions from requirements and from an understanding of organizational business needs.
• Work closely with business owners to develop and present reports and dashboards.
• Support software development, testing and implementation of new BI/Data Warehouse dashboard reports – programming, modifying, testing and implementing current reports.
• Promote the use of self-service products.
• Provide support to the development of training materials and training activities related to the BI tools and applications.
• Assist in development of project definitions, including proposals, estimates, planning, schedules and documentation.
• Ability to listen to user requirements and convey messages in a clear, concise manner
• Demonstrate ability in presenting to small work groups on both technical and functional requirements
• Team oriented with good interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with coworkers and internal customers
• The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, including executives, managers, and subject matter experts
• Responsible for coordinating the records management effort within the department.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
• Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
• Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Experience developing automated reports and dashboards using Tableau, Power BI, SSRS
• 3+ years development experience in a BI and data warehouse environment
• Ability to analyze data in databases (SQL) and spreadsheets (MS Excel) and to present analysis and recommendations.
• Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines in an environment subject to disruptions and/or a rapidly changing focus.
• Demonstrated proficiency in extracting data from and analyzing data in relational database systems – specifically Oracle RDBMS and SQL Server
• Experience with data modeling/related and ETL concepts preferred
• Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management and within the business administrative, maintenance, functional and technical communities.
• Ability to multi-task, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure and meet multiple deadlines.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills Essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is
expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite and working knowledge of data warehousing.
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science,informationtechnology, computer programming, analytics, or business.
Minimum of 3 years’ report development experience with 3-5 years Tableau-specific experience with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
Licenses or Certificates: Virginia Driver’s License
Special Requirements: This position is classified as essential personnel.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Unusual Demands: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some overtime. The nature of the job may require providing assistance to Enterprise Application users (primarily by phone, but occasionally in person) in the evenings and on weekends.