Check out our openings from below and fill the application by clicking on it
Location: Norfolk, VA
The Application Administrator acts as an administrator for HRT’s enterprise software systems and plays an important role in technical software support and implementations. This person has responsibility for working with Application Services and IT staff to ensure enterprise applications operate in a manner that enables HRT staff to meet organizational goals for increased ridership and I'm proved operational efficiency. This person must take a broad, cross-departmental view of the organization, understand transit, organizational and departmental policies, processes and procedures to leverage system capabilities and promote effective use of the enterprise applications to meet organization goals and needs.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
• Serve as contact/liaison for functional users, the systems vendor(s), Application Services, and IT technical staff.
• Provide application-level expertise, bridging the gap between the user and Application Services staff.
• Work with Application Services staff in the technical support of multiple enterprise applications and Oracle databases.
• Work to identify and develop “power users” within each department who can respond to routine
functional and training issues.
• Troubleshoot systems issues:
− Receive problem report from user(s).
− Work with the users to understand, resolve the problem and ensure proper follow-up.
− Refer the problem to the helpdesk and/or the vendor, as needed.
− Keep good documentation of all issues, pending and resolved.
• Provide recommendations to department managers and Application Services staff on departmental needs for additional training, report customizations, system enhancements, upgrades, etc.
• Have the ability to handle system security and user role profile management
• Promote standardization across divisions in utilizing enterprise application systems.
• Have a detailed understanding of database technology and participate in systems conceptual design and planning activities.
• Assist with implementation activities such as:
− Project meetings
− Review and approval of deliverable documents (detailed design specifications, test plans, schedule updates, etc.)
− System testing
− User training
− System acceptance
• Develop an in-depth knowledge of public transportation definitions and terminology by utilizing various resources to include APTA, TCRP, FTA, and NTD
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or harm.
• Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and policies.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Strong analytical skills and excellent computer skills required
• Strong organization, verbal & written communication skills, diplomacy and problem solving skills are essential
• Working knowledge of database architecture, terminology, processes and an understanding of database-based application system concepts
• An understanding of transit scheduling concepts and operations dispatch functions is strongly desired
• Direct experience administering transit-specific applications such as HASTUS and TransitMaster is strongly desired
• Experience using GIS/mapping programs such as ESRI ArcView and MapInfo and geospatial analysis functions desired
• Knowledge and use of SQL (Oracle)
• Experience using Crystal Reports, MS Excel and other report generation tools is desired
• Ability to work independently and use good judgment in decisions affecting application administration
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
HASTUS, TransitMaster, Microsoft Excel, Crystal Reports
Training and/or Education:
BS in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems, or Related Field.
Previous work experience in application administration with an emphasis on supporting transit specific applications such as HASTUS and TransitMaster. A background in transit scheduling/planning/operations, information technology, or intelligent transportation systems
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver’s License
This position is classified as essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some seasonal overtime. The nature of the job may require providing assistance to Enterprise Application users (primarily by phone, but occasionally in person) in the evenings and on weekends.