The Technology Project Manager manages technology projects sponsored by Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) The position will provide technical leadership and guidance on Technology
projects that may involve multiple partners including HRT staff, local planning agencies, industry partners and vendors. The selected candidate will complete project deliverables and submit
proposals for current and future technology projects.
Essential Job Functions:
Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned:
• Make professional decisions and recommendations and provide technical and policy support to HRT.
• Supervise and coordinate activities of professional, technical and maintenance personnel engaged in managing, planning, modifying, repairing, and installing components of
Intelligent Transportation Systems.
• Responsible for the successful execution and delivery of the current and future Technology projects.
• Work closely with the system/application owner and Technology owner with specific focus on managing expectations.
• Act as a liaison between the Technology department and other departments within HRT.
• Demonstrate ability in the creation of functional and technical specification documentation and RFPs.
• Gather requirements, create project plans and track project progress; adjust plan as needed and takes appropriate corrective action to address plan variances.
• Oversee the completion of Technology projects ensuring project disciplines are followed, the appropriate resources participate, review, or approve deliverables, appropriate sign-off
is received and the project expectations are met.
• Provide leadership and mentoring to project team members, provide feedback to functional managers on staff, as appropriate.
• Provide technical expertise for Technology projects and applications at the agency.
• Provide expert advice, guidance, and recommendations to executive management on ITS technology.
• Represent HRT at external professional committees and groups.
Develop and provide oversight of technical documents (plans, contracts, specifications, estimates, reports, assessments).
• Demonstrate leadership and consensus-building skills.
• Perform System Administration of ITS applications as needed.
• Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
• Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
• Possess knowledge and progressively responsible experience with Technology Project Management; PMP or related certification desirable.
• Working knowledge of transit, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), traffic engineering, telecommunications, electronic/electrical devices, and infrastructure design.
• Ability to effectively convey information and work well in a structured environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management and within the business administrative, maintenance, functional and technical communities.
• Good critical and analytical thinking.
• Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems quickly and completely.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet multiple deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Training and/or Education:
B.S. in Information Systems, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or Related Field.
Preferred four (4) or more years’ experience in managing Technology projects and ITS applications with at least two (2) year technology support and administrative capacity; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
• PMP or equivalent desired