Location: WoodLawn, MD
Northrop Grumman Technology Services sector is seeking a Database Administrator to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Woodlawn, MD.
Put your years of experience into a future of excellence. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's team to support the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The CMS program supports a broad range of complex business systems which are instrumental to the software development application projects.
Responsible for designing, developing, building, analyzing, installing, and maintenance of database management systems. Implements and maintains smooth operation and physical design of databases. Conducts performance tuning of indexes and databases in general. Reviews database design and integration of systems provides backup recovery and makes recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements. Responsibilities include database modeling and design, metadata and repository creation, and configuration management. Uses data mapping, data mining, and data transformational analysis tools to design and develop databases. Determines data storage and optimum storage requirements, monitors database performance, and takes corrective action to ensure optimal performance and high availability of the database. Maintains security and integrity controls. Formulates policies, procedures, and standards relating to database management, and monitors transaction activity and utilization. May develop stored procedures and/or triggers. The Database Administrator works closely with the System Development team to ensure that applications or tools are compatible and integrated with the applicable database system (Oracle, DB2, etc.). Experience working in an Agile environment
- Complete understanding and application of principles, concepts, practices, and standards as applicable to RDBMS.
- Responsible for creating and implementing the physical design, development, and maintenance of all of the databases.
- Must be able to work in an Agile environment.
- Conducts capacity planning required to establish and maintain the databases
- Full knowledge of industry practices, performance tuning, and optimization.
- Independently demonstrates the skill and ability to perform fairly complex professional tasks while also working in groups.
- Develops solutions to a variety of complex problems. May refer to established precedents and policies.
- Perform complex tasks and participates in determining objectives of assignment. Plan schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Ability to maintain security and integrity controls, maintain database objects under version control, etc. Participate in the development of policies, procedures, and standards relating to database management, and monitors transaction activity and utilization.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Install server software
- Configure database servers
- Monitor and maintain system health and security
- Design backup processes for server and associated data
- Create accounts for all users and assign security levels
- Establish a disaster recovery protocol
- Provide end-to-end technical support and problem resolution
- Schedule and perform regular server maintenance
- Create database management procedures
- Evaluate data analysis models and procedures
- Participate in company’s cross-training program
- 6 Years with Bachelors; 4 Years with Masters
- Must be familiar with working in an Agile environment.
- Expert knowledge of Relational Database Design, Development, Implementation, and Administration
- Advanced knowledge of database structure and theory
- Experience with MySQL and NoSQL
- Basic understanding of disaster recovery and database backup procedures
- Familiarity with reporting tools
- Experience with the full software development life cycle
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and assistance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Some familiarity with CMS Database Administration (DBA) (http://www.cms.gov/DBAdmin/01_Overview.asp), CMS Data Administration and Database Administration Standards and Guidelines
- Familiarity with CMS Data Administration standards and guidelines.
- PostgreSQL certification preferred